|Английский язык для школьников №15 |
1. Раскройте скобки, употребив глаголы в нужном времени:
GOOD LUCK, CARL!
Carl Osbourne lives in Glasgow. He (ought, be) in The Guinness Book of
Records because he (have) a terrible time this year.
The trouble (start) one fine morning at the beginning of January when Carl
(find) that his car (disappear) from his garage. He (see, not)
- it since that time!
In February he (buy) a new car, but he (have, not) it for more
than two weeks when he (crash) into a lamp-post.
Three days ago Carl (sit) on a seat that (paint) only a few minutes
before. He (wear) a brand-new suit that he (buy) only the previous week.
In the summer Carl (spend) his holiday at the seaside. When he (arrive)
home, he (discover) that his house (break into) . His
television and video-recorder (disappear) .
Now poor Carl (know, not) what he (do) to deserve this bad
luck. He just (hope) that his luck (change) soon.
2. Поставьте вопросы к следующим предложениям:
1. She doesn't like English food. (What?)
2. Something fell on the floor. (What?)
3. We used to live in a small village. (Where?)
4. He's been studying in London since November. (How long?)
5.1 have already seen Dracula. (When?)
6. I'll have to borrow 10 pounds from Nick. (Who?)
7. There are a lot of words of French origin in English. (Why?)
8.1 think he's at home now. (Where?)
9. The British national flag is called Upion Jack. (What?)
10. The weather was nasty yesterday. (What?)
3. Из четырех вариантов (А), (В), (С), (D) выберите единственно правильный:
A DOG ON THE KEYS
We were sitting in the tea-room and facing me 1_ _ a piano. A dog and his
master were sitting at the table 2 .
Having finished his tea the dog went up to the piano and 3 . And what a
wonderful pianist he was. He started off with some Chopin, my favourite composer, and
next he switched over to Wagner and then to some jazz music.
the audience into a storm of applause. I was that I
didn't know whether I was drinking tea or coffee. I stood up, went up to the dog's master
and 7 8 voice:
- My heartiest congratulations, sir! You've got a very talented dog here! It's the first
time 9 10 performance!
The dog's master smiled 11 me mysteriously and whispered:
" I can let you into a little secret: 12 the only three pieces he can play, but
hush! Keep it dark!"
(A) it was
(B) there has been
(A) near to mine
(B) next to mine
(A) begin to play
(B) began playing
(A) When he had finished
(B) When he was finished
(A) have burst out
(B) has burst out
(A) such an amazed
(B) amazed such
(A) in a trembling
(B) with trembling
(B) I'm seeing
(C) there was
(C) next me
(D) next mine
(C) began play
(D) start play
(C) When he has finished
(D) When he finishes
(C) burst out
(D) was burst out
(C) such amazed
(D) so amazed
(C) said him
(D) told to him
(C) at a trembling
(D) of a trembling
(C) I had seen
(D) I have seen
(D) so a
12. (A) it is
(B) there are
(C) these are
4. Из четырех вариантов (А), (В), (С), (С) выберите один, который ближе всего по значению к данному примеру:
1. The book cost $3.65, and he had only $2.40.
(A) He had more than enough money to pay for the book.
(B) The book cost more than he had with him.
(C) He had just enough money to pay for the book.
(D) He needed two more dollars to pay for the book.
2. No one but Nick knew the answer to the question.
(A) The question could not be answered by anyone.
(B) Everyone knew how to answer the question.
(C) Nick was the only one who couldn't answer the question.
(D) Only Nick could answer the question.
3. Could you give me a hand with this exercise?
(A) Please give me your hand.
(B) Would you help me to do this exercise?
(C) Please let me do this exercise myself.
(D) Please do this exercise for me.
4. Helen exchanged the jeans for a different pair.
(A) Helen returned the jeans and took a pair of shoes instead.
(B) Helen took the jeans back to the shop and got some different ones.
(C) The jeans didn't fit properly so Helen returned them .
(D) Helen didn't like the jeans at home so she returned them.
5. My father broke his glasses so he couldn't read the newspaper.
(A) My father was not able to read the newspaper because he had
broken his glasses.
(B) My father could have read the newspaper if he hadn't had to
wash the glasses.
(C) My father won't go to work tomorrow because he must go to
(D) My father cut himself on some broken glass.
6.1 found it very difficult to learn that poem by heart.
(A) It was hard for me to learn the poem.
(B) I learned that difficult poem.
(C) I found the poem after a difficult search.
(D) It was hard for me to find a good poem to learn by heart.
7.1 would rather listen to Mozart than rock music.
(A) I like listening to all kinds of music.
(B) I prefer music to studying rocks.
(C) I prefer Mozart to rock music.
(D) I don't like Mozart as much as I like rock music.
8. Flats are very expensive and we can't afford to buy one.
(A) The flats are too simple to cost so much.
(B) It is easy to pay for a nice flat.
(C) We don't have enough money for a new flat because
of the high price.
(D) We can afford a new flat now, but not next year.
9. When the lesson began, there were a dozen students in the classroom, but by the end
of the lesson the number doubled.
(A) After the lesson had begun, some of the brazen students entered
(B) There were three dozen students by the end of the lesson.
(C) There were 24 students in the classroom by the end of the lesson.
(D) The dozen people in the classroom were doubling as students.
10. Mary could hardly find her mother in the overcrowded shop.
(A) Mary could easily find her mother in the overcrowded shop.
(B) Mary couldn't find her mother in the overcrowded shop.
(C) Because the shop was overcrowded, Mary and her mother
couldn't enter it.
(D) Mary had some difficulty finding her mother.