|Английский язык для школьников №17 |
1. Из четырех вариантов (А), (В), (С), (D) выберите единственно правильный:
There was once a small boy 1 Jack Jameison, who 2 in the
village of Jamesville, in the state of Georgia. Young Jameison 3 by
4 of the villagers to be 5 foolish, but he was just
6 clever as any boy of his 7 .
One day Jack went 8 the village 9 to buy some
groceries: some jelly, oranges, jam, and finally, five cents worth of cheese. The owner,
however, objected to 10 so small a piece of cheese. He said that he just
11 judge the size of a five-cent piece of cheese.
"Then 12 ten cents worth," 13 Jack Jameison.
The owner 14 15 a ten-cent piece of cheese.
" 16 satisfied now, 17 young man?" he asked.
Jack Jameison 18 five cents on the 19 and said:
"Now just cut that piece 20 half."
1. (A) named (C) whose name
(B) by name (D) was named
2. (A) left (C) inhabited
(B) lived (D) resident
3. (A) judged (C) was judged
(B) had judged (D) was judging
4. (A) somebody (C) any
(B) some (D) anyone
5. (A) a little (C) a few
(B) little (D) few
6. (A) so (C) as
(B) such (D) very
(A) to give me
(B) give to me
(A) Are you
(B) You are
(C) years old
(D) couldn't to
(D) give me
(C) had cut
(D) was cutting
(C) Were you
(D) Is you
В. A TALKATIVE LADY
1 the passengers of the ship 2 a very talkative lady who asked
the captain 3 questions. The captain was tired 4 the lady, but he
was a 5 man and 6 answer all her questions.
One afternoon she asked: "Captain, what will happen if our ship 7 an iceberg in
The captain 8 and answered: "Nothing special, madam. The iceberg
9 as if 10 had happened."
1. (A) Between (C) In front of
(B) Among (D) Beyond
2. (A) it was (C) there was
(B) she was (D) there it was
3. (A) lots (C) a lot
(B) lots of (D) a great number
4. (A) with (C) of
(B) from (D) because of
5. (A) well-bred (C) absent-minded
(B) ill-bred (D) left-handed
6. (A) must (C) could
(B) had to (D) should
7. (A) meets (C) would meet
(B) will meet (D) had met
8. (A) smiles (C) was smiling
(B) smiled (D) had smiled
9. (A) goes (C) was going
(B) went (D) will go
10. (A) some (C) anything
(B) something (D) nothing
2. Поставьте вопросы к следующим предложениям:
1. This house belongs to the Emersons. (Who?)
2. Our company has just moved into a new office. (When?)
3. We used to go to the theatre on Friday nights. (Where?)
4. Marion is from Spain. (Where?)
5. Linda has been watching TV since morning. (How long?)
6. Dick won't be able to join us tomorrow. (Why?)
7. They usually work till 6 o'clock. (Who?)
8. Paul has got three cars. (How many?)
9. She speaks English very well. (How?)
10. The article will be translated tomorrow. (When?)
3. Из четырех вариантов выберите единственно правильный (наиболее точно отражающий смысл подчеркнутого слова):
1. It is known that Ivan the Terrible was very cruel.
(A) impatient (C) brutal
(B) serious (D) reliable
2. The biography is a very popular form of prose. .
(A) science fiction (C) historical work
(B) poetry (D) writing
3.1 like Mark Twain's humorous stories.
(A) funny (C) artistic
(B) intelligent (D) interesting
4. This railway line connects Moscow and St Petersburg.
(A) separates (C) links
(B) divides (D) serves
5. Most students hate exams.
(A) fear (C) fail
(B) strongly dislike (D) find pleasant
6.1 think he is an imitator, not a creator.
(A) a copier (C) a burglar
(B) an originator (D) a writer
7. In Britain the Queen is the formal head of state, but it is the prime minister and
the cabinet who govern.
(A) rule (C) advise
(B) choose (D) watch
8. Sharks must swim all the time to avoid sinking.
(A) swiftly (C) accurately
(B) often (D) constantly
9. The number of unemployed people in our country is increasing.
(A) working (C) jobless
(B) well-to do (D) educated
10. It is a school for gifted children.
(A) talented (C) blind
(B) ordinary (D) handicapped