|Английский язык для школьников №18 |
1. Прочтите текст "A Story About Forks" и выберите единственно правильный ответ.
A STORY ABOUT FORKS
In 1608 an Englishman whose name was Thomas Coryate visited Italy. He
liked the country and noted down every interesting thing he found. But there
was one thing which he found more interesting than the others. In his diary
Thomas wrote, "When the Italians eat meat, they use small forks. They do not
eat with hands because, as they say, people do not always have clean hands."
Before leaving for England, Thomas Coryate bought a few forks.
At home Thomas gave a dinner party to show the invention to his friends.
When the servants brought the steak, he took out a fork and began to eat like
they did in Italy.
Everybody looked at him in surprise. When he told his friends what it was,
they all wanted to take a good look at the strange thing. All his friends said that
the Italians were very strange people because the fork was very inconvenient.
Thomas Coryate tried to prove the opposite. He said it was not nice to eat
meat with one's fingers because they were not always clean.
Everybody got angry at that. Did Mr Coryate think that people in England
always had dirty hands? And weren't the ten fingers we had enough for us?
Thomas Coryate wanted to show that it was very easy to use the fork. But the
first piece of meat he took with the fork fell to the floor. His friends began to
laugh and he had to take the fork away.
Only fifty years later did people in England begin to use forks.
Вопросы к тексту:
1. Why did Thomas Coryate bring forks to England?
(A) He wanted to make his friends surprised.
(B) He believed it was not nice to eat meat with fingers.
(C) Forks were beautiful.
(D) He wanted to make business selling forks.
2. Why did everybody look at Thomas when he began to eat like the Italians?
(A) They believed that was bad manners.
(B) Nobody ate meat with hands in England.
(C) Everybody thought it was an amazing invention.
(D) Nobody had seen a fork before.
3. Coryate's friends...
(A) began to eat meat with forks at once.
(B) became ashamed of eating meat with their hands.
(C) didn't like the forks.
(D) didn't pay any attention to the forks.
4. Why did the first piece of meat fall to the floor when Thomas took it with the fork?
(A) The fork was very inconvenient to use.
(B) The fork was bad.
(C) Thomas was not used to eating with a fork.
(D) The steak was too tough.
5. When did people in England begin to use forks?
(A) In 1658.
(B) In 1568.
(C) In 1856.
(D) In 1685.
2. Из четырех вариантов (А), (В), (С), (D) выберите единственно правильный:
1. You are so intelligent! How many languages ?
(A) are you speaking (C) do you speak
(B) you speak (D) speak you
2. During his second voyage to America Christopher Columbus
some islands of the West Indies.
(A) found out (C) invented
(B) founded (D) discovered
3. You'll find your way to the village without difficulty .
(A) if you will have a map (C) if you have a map
(B) if you had a map (D) if you're having a map
4. Nobody likes talking to Bill because he is fond of giving .
(A) a useless advice (C) useless advice
(B) useless advices (D) some useless advices
5. _ Hemingway lived mostly in Cuba where he wrote The Old
Man and the Sea.
(A) In his later years (C) In his lasted years
(B) In his latter years (D) In his lasting years
6. Andrew promised to be here at six o'clock yesterday. Do you know what time
(A) did he come (C) he came
(B) does he come (D) he did come
7. 1 was very busy last week. I couldn't even find the time to watch the news on
(A) Nor I could. (C) So could I.
(B) Neither could I. (D) I neither.
8. Unfortunately I've never seen Mary _ . They say she took the
first place at the competition last year.
(A) to dance (C) dances
(B) dance (D) is dancing
9. They want their _ to become a doctor. They don't even think
that she can be against it.
(A) fifteen years old girl (C) fifteen-year-old girl
(B) fifteen-years girl (D) a fifteen-year-aged girl
10. Our literature teacher _ . a lot of poems by heart.
(A) makes us to learn (C) makes us learning
(B) makes that we learn (D) makes us learn
1 1 . It doesn't take me long to get to work because I live _ the office.
(A) near (C) near to
(B) nearly (D) close
12. In Washington no building may be more than 40 metres tall _
the city's many monuments from view.
(A) so as to hide not (C) for not hiding
(B) so not to hide (D) in order not to hide
13. According to the manager's order you wear jeans in the office.
(A) needn't (C) may not
(B) mustn't (D) don't have to
14. A friend of mine would never let her children a pet in the flat.
(A) keeping (C) keep
(B) to keep (D) kept
15. My sister phoned yesterday and she told me that she a house.
(A) has bought (C) had bought
(B) bought (D) will buy
16. Which of you how to spell this word?
(A) knows (C) does know
(B) know (D) do know
17.1 don't know about it.
(A) something (C) nothing
(B) anything (D) none
18. My sister used to spend hours talking to somebody the phone.
(A) through (C) with
(B) on (D) at
19. The first modern Olympic Games took place in Greece in 1896, ?
(A) did they (C) isn't it
(B) didn't it (D) didn't they
20. We travel everywhere train because my wife is afraid of flying by air.
(A) by (C) by the
(B) on (D) in the
21. Mary was supposed to write an essay yesterday but she hasn't done it .
(A) since (C) still
(B) already (D) yet
22.1 wanted to discuss a very important problem with John but he couldn't talk
to me because he .
(A) didn't have a lot time (C) didn't have much time
(B) had few time (D) had a little time
23. When Albert Einstein went to school, thought much of his
(A) nor his parents nor his teachers
(B) neither his parents nor his teachers
(C) neither his parents and his teachers
(D) neither his parents or his teachers
24. He is very experienced because he has been working here six years.
(A) since (C) during
(B) for (D) by
25. , London is one of the oldest and most interesting cities in the world.
(A) In my opinion (C) For my mind
(B) In my mind (D) By my opinion
3. Переведите следующие предложения на английский язык:
1. Здоровье и счастье важнее денег.
2. Я жду вас с девяти часов утра. Почему вы всегда опаздываете?
3. Я не люблю чай с сахаром. — А я люблю.
4. Я только что прочитал очень смешную книгу. Я могу дать ее вам, если хотите.
5. Он даже не открывает учебник. Интересно, сдаст ли он экзамен?
6. Разве вы не знаете, что вода закипает при 100°С?
7. Когда будет опубликована эта статья?
8. Когда я вернулся домой, мои родители уже спали.
9. Это был самый дешевый отель, который мы могли найти.
10. На вашем месте я бы пользовался словарем гораздо чаще.