|1) Read and illustrate the poem. |
House of Sand
We knew it wouldn’t last. That’s why
We thumbed in turrets so prettily, fashioned doors
And windows, too, for small sand people to come
In and go out again – our little house,
Dark damp sand, driveway scored in, the sea
Encroaching upon our play.
We watched it fall
Prey to grey water swirling, helped it on
With a good boot or two, stood by and smiled –
Our house of sand melts to a shapeless mound.
2) Match the words (1 - 8) with their definitions (a – h).
1. to thumb in 2. to fashion 3. to score in 4. to encroach on/upon
5. to fall prey to 6. to swirl 7.to help it on 8. to melt
a) to intrude gradually, stealthily or insidiously on sb. or smth.;
b) to turn in a twisting, spinning fashion;
c) to give a particular form to smth.;
d) to work up smth using the thumb;
e) to cause a solid to become liquid;
f) to become victim;
g) to mark a line in some place with a sharp instrument;
h) to aid smth. to keep it heaped
3) Choose the odd-one-out.
1. turret belfry steeple bell-tower
2. house bungalow caravan home
3. gravel sand sugar quarts
4. wet damp water humid
5. road motorway subway driveway
6. prey victim sacrifice donation
4) Choose the correct meaning of the word.
a) a type of shoe
b) an enclosed space at the back of a car(trunk)
c) a kick with the foot
2) 1.d 2. с 3.g 4. a 5. f 6.b 7.h 8.e
3) 1. turret 2. home 3. sugar 4. water 5. subway 6. donation