|1) Fill in the gaps choosing the right word from the options given below.[/size]
This is the …1… we make our hay;
Men…2… the grass, then lad and lass,
We take it and shake it, and rake it;
Then into …3… we place it,
And leave it to the sun to …4… it;
And when it is brown, we pull it down,
And again we take it, and shake it,
And again with our rakes we rake it,
And when we have done with dance and fun
Home in our cart we take it.
1. a) way b) method c) manner d) means
2. a) chop b) slice c) cut d) reap
3. a) piles b) heaps c) lots d) loads
4. a) bake b) burn c) harden d) tan
2) Which of the words in bold type means
a) mirth b) girl c) vehicle d) boy ?
3) In the following list there are more words synonymous to the words in bold type. Group them.
Carriage, bloke, maiden, trolley, guy, merriment, wagon, revelry.
4) Describe the process of haymaking. Make use of the following linking devices:
First, second, next, then, after that, and then again, finally.
1) 1. a) 2. c) 3. b) 4. a)
2-3) a) mirth, fun, merriment, revelry
b) girl, lass, maiden
c) vehicle, cart, carriage, trolley
d) boy, lad, bloke, guy